Tuesday 24 September 2013

Charades, French, German and Spanglish... and bonding with Scott

So its been an incredible and full on 3 weeks so far:

Most of the entertainment comes at dinner time when the conversation is a mixture of charades and acting out what we mean putting our theatre skills to good use. At the same time, I am teaching German in Bolivia, speaking French whilst learning Spanish. The children in my family keep asking me to teach them phrases in German and French which is great fun as well as in English. So i spend my time speaking what little Spanish I know and they speak in English and we muddle through! It's hard to switch off the automatic reflex to reply in French (as I am so used to this being the main foreign langauge I speak) so replying in French and then looking at  confused faces only to realise I am using the wrong language!

Still despite this after 18 hours of lessons I can communitcate the basics and have been told by my teacher that I am moving towards intermediate level already and can undersatnd about 70% of what most people are saying to me... except I still can't speak very well! Today I have just started to attack the past tense of the language... and now my head hurts.


So Scott has taken to spending his time chilling here... makes going for a pee an expereince. Seeing as he is determined not to move it seems we spend a bit of bonding time when i´m on the loo... 

No comments:

Post a Comment